At Ambleside, we spread a rich feast in front of the children with more than sixteen curriculum areas. Short lessons allow children to remain alert and interested throughout the day. Our students build personal relationships with God's creation, with great men and women of history, and with the great ideas expressed in each of their subjects: not learning a slight or incomplete smattering about this or that subject, "but plunging into vital knowledge, with a great field before him which all his life he will not be able to fully explore."
Our school day is structured to take advantage of the natural rhythms of a child's day. Disciplinary subjects requiring the greatest concentration are scheduled for mid-morning, when children are usually most refreshed. We also alternate between disciplinary subjects like mathematics, penmanship, phonics, or grammar, and inspirational subjects like Bible, history, literature or science so that the children are able to enjoy the refreshment variety brings.
As persons, all children at Ambleside:
experience a broad, rigorous curriculum.
calculate, solve, attend, explore, ponder, recite, paint, and sing.
are held to a high standard in relationship to self, others, ideas, and work.
learn without the external motivation of grades, rewards, punishment, or manipulation.
participate actively in the learning process each day.
learn to complete punctual, accurate, neat, work.
demonstrate complex thought, mastery of material, and academic skill.
receive support as they master the habits of a life well-lived.
encounter a wealth of ideas and knowledge in well-written books.
complete tasks worthy of their attention, time, effort, and thought.
Below is a sampling of Ambleside's coursework:
• Bible • Composer Study • History Readings • Nature Study • Picture Study • Poetry
• Read Aloud • Tales and Fables/Myths and Legends
• Arithmetic • Art • Geography • Handwork • Handwriting • Phonics/Reading • Instruction
• Recitation • Music • Spanish • Physical Education
• Bible • Citizenship • Composer Study • Literature • Nature Study • Picture Study
• Poetry • Read Aloud • Science • World History
• Art • Composition • Dictation • Spanish • Geography • Grammar • Handwork
• Handwriting • Mathematics • Recitation • Music • Physical Education